Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A new era.


Aiden and Emma started school on Monday.  They are both adjusting to a new school this year as we decided to put them in the charter school nearby.  This is the first time they've been in the same school together. Emma is in a special Ed class and says her teacher is "a little bit beautiful" and "nice".  Aiden is in the 5th grade this year.  He likes his teacher too.  We've heard so many good things about the school and have been so impressed with what we've seen so far. We have high hopes for a great school year.  

I'm really missing my crock pot.  I left it at our cabin in Yellowstone when we were there in July.  Bub will go back next month to help close the cabin for the winter and will bring it back then. So I can't justify buying a new one.  But dang it!  I really miss my crock pot!

Two weeks ago our sweet Cody dog was put to sleep.  My heart is still aching profoundly and there isn't much I want to say about it. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

The good thing about mourning a dog is that you don't have to worry about having awkward conversations when you run into people you know at the grocery store.  To everyone else it's 'just a dog'.

Our little dog Chuck has been grieving quite a bit too.  He hasn't been eating and just lays around most of the time.  The other day I was busy around the house and happened to look over at Chuck.  He was staring at me with such sorrow in his eyes.  I said "Oh Chucky, you are so sad and you miss Cody so much don't you?"  I kneeled down and he came over to me and just pressed his head into my chest.  At our house we call that a Cody-hug.  Chuck has never done it before, but I hugged him back and told him "I miss him a lot too."  The next day Chuck chased his tail!  He used to do that all the time before Cody died, but hasn't had any spunk or sparkle since.  Slowly, I think we will heal.

The kids are fine.  We have a book called Dog Heaven that we have read at bed time through out their whole lives and they don't seem to even be phased by Cody being gone. They are sure he's in heaven playing with their sister Abigail and eating ham sandwich shaped biscuits.

I think he's in heaven with Abigail too.  But he was so much to me.  I miss him more than I can say.  I found his ball while mowing the lawn yesterday and almost started crying.

But life goes on as it always does.

Even when your heart skips a beat, life goes on. 



No comments: