Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Please pray for my brother.

I've mentioned before that my big brother has been battling cancer.  Yesterday, he had his third surgery.  In his first surgery they removed a grapefruit sized tumor from under his arm.  The second surgery, they removed a baseball size tumor from his left lung, and in the process had to remove some of his lung.  They also found a tumor starting to grow around his heart and removed that too.  This time, they removed tumors from the right lung and had to remove nearly 50% of his right lung.  Surgery went well, but recovery is difficult for him and not going as well as hoped.  His lungs are retaining carbon dioxide and fluid.  The fluid (I'm told) wouldn't be such a concern if his kidneys were functioning properly.  But they are not.  Right now, the doctors are keeping him in a coma and have him paralyzed from the neck down so the ventilator can do the breathing for him and keep things going. The doctors have said that the next 24-48 hours are crucial.  Please take a minute or two to pray for him and his family.  

5 comments:

Julie said...

So sorry to hear this. We will pray for your brother and your family as well.

Roberts Fam'ly said...

I would love to. What is his name? It will help make our prayers more personal. We love you.

Rachael said...

oh, Sue, your family has gone through so much! We will definately keep him in our prayers!

Susan said...

Thanks so much for your prayers everyone. I really appreciate it, as I'm sure his wife and kids do.

His name is Jim. You can look at his blog if you are interested in more details. His son has been updating it. it's in my side bar, or you can just go to www.jimmeekshealth.blogspot.com It has pictures of the tumors they removed. He's been real detailed about his experiences.

Nicole said...

I am so sorry to hear this, Susan. We will definately pray for him and your family. I've been working with the Relay for Life this year. I'm actually involved more than I had planned on, and I've heard story after story of people in your situation. It's so sad. I'm sorry you have to go through this.