Today on yahoo, I saw an article about a New York artist named Jason Polan. While he is a professional, working illustrator, in his spare time he likes to hang out in public places. Parks, street corners, subway stations, museums etc. He sketches the people he sees. He has a goal of sketching every person in New York. So far he's been at it for 2 years and has only sketched 10,000 people. He posts his daily drawings on his blog.
That is so my kind of thing.
Before I had kids, I used to do a lot of cartooning. Especially in church. I liked to try to draw the speakers, or the person teaching the lesson, or the family in the pew in front of me. Mostly, I just like to look at people and notice all the unique little characteristics. Then instead of drawing actual people, I cartoon types of people.
Back in 2001, I worked for a brief stint at the Marriott Vacation Club call center. time shares. People called in to schedule their vacation with me. For the record, I feel that any time share program is way too complicated to deal with and not worth the trouble. For that reason, many of the people who called in became upset when I couldn't give them what they wanted. Having people upset with me is not my kind of thing. In order to deal with the situation and to make the job bearable, I drew cartoons of the customers (or what I imagined them to look like) and the things they said and posted them all around my cubicle. I have scanned those drawings for your viewing pleasure. The originals are each about 6in. x 12in. and a little too big for my scanner, or for posting on a blog. So I had to do some creative cropping. You should be able to view it larger (if you want to) by clicking on it.
Let this serve as a warning to all of you who know me personally. You may end up a cartoon one day.....if you haven't already.

2 comments:
that IS your kind of thing...for as long as i can remember. great drawings!
I love them!! Wish I could draw people that annoy me too! :p
Post a Comment