
I went to this boutique on Saturday. It was held in a house in Farmington. I opened the front door, and thought I'd stepped into a Pottery Barn catalog. Everything was decorated so cute, and looked so nice. Every room was decked out in beautiful displays of handmade loveliness.I know why I don't go to these things more often.
It was so fun to see such a variety of creative things handmade by different people. I couldn't help but get caught up in thought of "I bet I could make that, I definitely could make that" followed by....."They're making money off this stuff!" and the ever popular coveting "I need to make more money so I can make my house as nice as this."
yes, I could make many of those things myself. I could sell them and make money too. I could make more money and turn my house into a magazine page....but that doesn't mean I should.
I marvel at the beautiful things I saw, and in my mind I can't help but think about the girls, (Moms I assume) who have labored making such pretty little things. And I wonder: "How do they do it all? How do they have the time to think up these fun projects, get all the supplies, put them together, display them so nicely, put them in shops or organize an etsy or internet shop of their own, run their business, and still take care of their children, keep their houses clean, dress their children in the latest and greatest, keep their cute thin figures, run their marathons, and create world peace?!!!
See where I'm going here? There's obviously a big assumption here. I don't know these girls, I don't know anything about them. So how is that I assume that they are mothers and that they've 'got it all together'? I don't know. I guess it's all those voices inside me wishing that I were all those things, and doing more with my creativity and talents. I rarely get to sit and draw 'just for fun' and I rarely get to sit there and do it long enough to reach that reverie where the creative juices start flowing. I usually only get to do what I enjoy when I have a reason (assignment) to do it. And apparently, my view of things is just warped enough that I believe my inability to do that one thing that each of those girls is doing, makes them automatically better and more capable of doing everything else too!
I caught myself in this strange thought pattern, and I'm glad I did. Because then I took the time to think that while the windborg sisters make cute and whimsical children's art, maybe their bathroom sink is dirty, and they're out of toilet paper.
And perhaps, Bonne nouvelle's delicious banners, are a sign of months of undone laundry piled up in the washroom. Maybe even, dishes in the sink! (gasp!)
I heard someone once say that "life certainly seems perfect on a blog" well, other people's lives can seem perfect anywhere - depending on how you look at it. Isn't it good to find a little bit of perfection here and there? And for those who choose to portray the perfection, or for those who seem to find it in others - I certainly can't begrudge them. I think optimism is and admirable talent too. One that I need to develop a little more.
Certainly I could do what ever I want with my life. I have the ability to be creative and industrious. But that doesn't mean I should. Speaking only for myself - I think what I should be doing is just what I am trying to do. Learning to take care of my family, and trying to keep up with cleaning the house and making our home warm and peaceful for them. Taking the time to hold on to that hug just a second longer. To read just one more story, or to giggle with them. I suck at all those things. But as long as I keep trying, I think things will turn out okay. And who knows, maybe one day, I will be one of those 'perfect' women in my imagination who do it all. honestly - I don't think they really exist, though it's easy to forget.
In the meantime, I'll be optimistic. I'll look for little bits of perfection in the everyday. I'll appreciate and enjoy the efforts of those creative girls, and I'll try not to get too carried away in imagining all the things they can't do, and worrying even more about what I can't do.
If you'd like to check them all out, visit "Piper & Chloe" here. Or, you can check out a small few of their individual sites.

2 comments:
Looks like there were lots of cute things there Sue! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels that way-you're awesome Sue!!
Wow! This looks amazing! (You should have called me:)
Post a Comment