In an effort to help us all out, I've decided to post a mini-grammar lesson. See how well you can score on this little test..... fill in the blanks with the appropriate word. If you are brave enough, I'd love for you to leave a comment and tell me how well you did! (just for the record, I had to look up the its - it's thing!)
1. your vs. you're
I love _________ recipe for chocolate chip cookies!
2. Then vs. Than
I like chocolate chip cookies a lot better ___________ oatmeal cookies.
3. Its vs. It's
__________ a hot day outside.
4. to - too- two
It is ______ hot ______go outside today. We should wait _______ hours and see if it cools off.
5. Were - where - we're- wear
_______________ in the world _________ you? We waited all day, and now ________ going home.
6. There - their - they're
I don't know where ___________ moving to. Perhaps, they'll move over _________ with all ____________ belongings.
7. a - an - and
You must install ___ car seat in ____ SUV to be lawful ____ safe.
8. Off - of
Flick that bug _____ your shoulder.
9. here vs. hear
Did you _______ that there is a sale going on in the mall over _________?
10. lose vs. loose
Don't _________ your head!
answers:
1. your
your: is possessive, meaning something belongs to you. your cat belongs to you.
you're: a contraction for ' you are'. You're the best!
2. than
then: a sequence. first we will make dinner, then we will eat it.
than: a comparison. I like chocolate cake better than white cake.
3. It's
Its: possessive: it belongs to you, its yours.
It's: contraction for 'it is' It's a tough one to learn.
4. too, to, two
to: going to somewhere, doing something to something, etc.
too: also (it has an extra 'o' in it too. One 'o' and also, another 'o')
two: the number 2
5. where, were, we're
where: a place
were: past tense
we're: contraction for 'we are'
wear: to wear clothes.
6. they're, there, their
they're: contraction for 'they are'
there: a place
their: possessive, it belongs to them
7. a, an, and
a: a singular item
an: goes before a pronounced vowel sound. Even though SUV starts with a written consonant, the pronunciation is that of a vowel sound, and therefore requires 'an'
and: and word to include more to the thought.
8. off
I think most people know the difference between off and of, just that perhaps their finger lingers on the 'f' button a second too long.
9.hear, here
hear: something you do with your ears.
here: a place.
10. lose
lose: to misplace something
loose: something that is not tight.

7 comments:
100 %. I'm a snobbity snob snob too. I'm also pretty good at slaughtering the english language.
I got every one right! I am a grammar snob also, but am caught doing something wrong once in a while. The funniest to me is when someone is really educated and they spell really bad.
100% for me as well. After all, we had the same mom.
I got 100% too! I struggle more in the punctuation dept. I never remember where the commas go and if I should use a colon or semicolon? Haha-fun quiz.
Sue, I am so glad that you did that because i am so bad with my grammar!
There is the funniest web site called Engrish.com. Check it out
Post a Comment