Wednesday, June 23, 2010

So blessed.




One of the greatest blessings I've been given is the gift of being Emma's mom. I have learned more from her about pure love, and life than anywhere else. She has special challenges for sure. But they have never had the slightest impact on her cheerful indomitable spirit. She's always happy. She wants to jump in and tackle whatever life has to offer. I don't think she's even once stopped to question whether she could actually do something or not. I used to wonder if she even realized that she had disabilities.

One afternoon about a year or so ago, Aiden and Emma and I were reading from the Book of Mormon reader. It was a story about Jesus healing the sick. Aiden interrupted the story with an enthusiastic "Whoooaah!" appreciating the Savior's power as something akin to a super hero. We talked about it for a minute and I told the kids that if Jesus thought it was the right thing, he could take away Emma's cerebral palsy right now. Then, I turned to Emma because she's never once complained, or even acknowledged that there's anything in the world holding her back. And I asked her "would you want Jesus to do that?" and she said "Yes, then I be just like my friends." It broke my heart and humbled it all at once. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever fully understand the beauty of her sweet spirit. She understands so much better than I do. She knows who she is, but never questions her lot in life. She's just happy. always and completely. It's me who worries about it and dwells on it. What she can or can't do, how people look at her or treat her. What life will be like for her as time goes on.

Today is one of those days. For me - it's one of the best days of my life. Emma is excited and thrilled too, but her feelings have no strings attached.

As I'm typing this - Emma is at a play date. One of two play dates she been invited to this week. It's the first time she's been invited to play since we moved here nearly 4 years ago. For her, it's an exciting and wonderful adventure. Something that moves her one notch closer to being a 'big girl' like her brother Aiden, who plays with friends everyday.

For me it is monumental.

I remember holding her in my arms as a baby listening to the doctors tell us about her, explaining test results and describing what her life would be like. I wondered and worried about how other kids would treat her. If they'd be nice or tease her, if she'd have friends or not. And now, one of my wildest dreams has come true - not once, but TWICE she has been invited to a play date. I cannot possibly express what this means to me. These sweet girls from her primary class, and their mothers have given us the blessing of a lifetime, and will forever hold a special spot in my heart. While I've told them thank you, and that it means the world to us, I doubt they'll ever truly understand just how big a deal it is.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Pam & Chan.

1 comment:

DA pages said...

Sue! I am such a boob! I am bawling right now! I think Emma has been a blessing in anyones life who has known her! WE love her so much!