Have you noticed that handwritten letters have become a lost art? I went to my mailbox the other day and found a hand written note from Bub's grandma. It was a sweet note full of kind and thoughtful words and was such a nice surprise. There's something about a hand written note that makes it that much more special. Perhaps it's the time it takes to sit down and do it in an age where e-mails and texts are sent off at the speed of light. Or maybe it's the uniqueness of handwriting. Each person has their own style and way of making marks on the page - it's almost like sending a little part of yourself! What ever it is - it is a rare and special treat.
Because I have inherited all my Mom's 'family history', I am fortunate to have many treasures. One of which is a box of her letters. Many are from her Mother, my grandma. And many are from her first husband while he was in the military. I haven't read very many of them. But what I have read holds a charm from a past I wish I knew better. When life was slower and neighbors hung their wash out to dry and chatted over the fence. Communication is such a different thing now. It's so casual, thoughtless and hurried. These days, people don't even take the time to text a whole word, it's all just letters and abbreviations. Don't get me wrong -technology is great, and I love it. But I can't help but wonder - what are we missing? What have we given up?
What magic and love there is in the ink of a simple handwritten note.
My goal this week is to write one handwritten letter. or more. Just because.
check your mailbox, maybe you'll be the one who gets it.

1 comment:
Brian's grandma always sends me handwritten letters, she's in her 80's and lives in Chicago. I LOVE her letters. Her hand writting is so pretty and my favorite part is seeing her pink lipstick on the inside of the envelope where she licked it. There's just something so sweet and wonderful about it, like there's so much love in the letter.
I always write her back too. She's a sweet lady!
Great post, thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment