Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Christmas 2008


I figure it's about time that I catch up a little and recap our holidays. So, using the photo collage above as a guide, here's what we did. In no particular order.

1. We made a gingerbread house. Not just any gingerbread house. This is the kit we bought, and that has been sitting in our pantry since LAST YEAR. Though to be fair, it did travel to yellowstone and back with us. I thought it would be a fun activity for the kids while we were there. Obviously it didn't happen. After months and months (12 to be exact) of begging to do it, Aiden finally got his wish and we made the gingerbread house. *remember, I am not a good mother, I am good enough.

2. Santa brought Aiden an interactive R2D2. He responds to your voice commands. He'll carry a can of soda pop for you, play tag, spin the droid, and do a dance routine for you. Every once in a while he gets that spunky little attitude you see in the movies and you have to tell him to behave. He even guards your room at night and sets off an alarm if anything in the room moves. It goes without saying that Aiden loves his new R2. He and Bub have had a lot of fun learning all the many many things he can do, and even found some secret commands on the internet.

3. My Husband loves me so much, he stole somebody else's quilting frames out of their garage to give me for Christmas. true story. See those wooden posts leaning against the couch in the picture? Those are supposed to be the quilting frames I inherited from my Mom that were left in the garage of our old house in Farmington when we moved 3 years ago. I have been nagging Bub ever since to get them for me. Fortunately, his Dad owns the house and rents it out, so they went over to get my quilting frames. Problem is....those aren't mine. (oops!) He still gets points for trying. :)

4. Emma got a "Furr Real" pet for Christmas. This is her Kitty who she named "Lella" of course. And Lella the kitty seems to rival Aiden's R2 quite nicely. It meows, and purrs when you pet it, it even hisses at you if you pull it's tail. Emma is a happy girl.

5. Emma's preschool class performed Christmas songs for the Mommy's and Daddy's on the last day of school. She was so excited. Even Grandma Mary came. Emma is normally a happy smiley girl, but honestly, I have never seen her smile so big. She kept telling her friends "That's my Daddy." "That's my Mommy." "That's my Nana." then, she stood up against the stairs they were sitting on to show off that she could do it. So sweet. So fun.

6. I've been such a dud of a mother for such a long time (for example the gingerbread house) I promised myself that next time there was a snow storm, I was going to take my kids sledding no matter what. They have never been sledding. And I found the most perfect hill --I've been trying to scope out sledding hills since last winter. So, this past Monday, it started snowing. I was tired. Not feeling 100% but I had promised. So I ate a bunch of cookies (*see below) to give me some quick energy, and ran outside to gather the kids into the car. Aiden was playing with his dump truck and didn't want to go. I made him anyway. The drive was really s l o w. We picked up Bub from work along the way. I brought gloves and a hat for him, but forgot shoes. He was wearing his new leather Christmas Doc Martins. Not the best choice for sledding. Emma fell asleep in the car. Aiden started complaining that he was starving, and it was nearly dark before we got to my perfect hill. In my attempt to be a better mother, I told him I wouldn't feed him until he went down the hill with me at least once. So, We climbed on the sled, with him in front so I could wrap my arms around him and hold him. It was a good big hill and it was one awesome long ride to the bottom. I LOVED IT! Aiden hated it, and promptly told me he doesn't ever want to do that again. It was too scary. I really wanted it to be one of those "fun Mom" memories, and who doesn't love sledding? So I talked him into going one more time with me in front. It was still super fun, but I got a face full of fresh powder the whole way down. No wonder he didn't like it! I guess he's not old enough to appreciate that a little white washing is worth the rush of the ride. Oh well. I kept my promise. I took him sledding. I let Emma stay asleep in the car with Bub, though he did take one ride down the hill before we left. Not wanting to get his new shoes wet, he dove on the sled down hill -face first- I forgot to warn him about the spray before hand. :) Even though it was short lived, it sure was a lot of fun....for me.

7. Aiden also performed Christmas songs on the last day of school. I attended this function last year and knew the kids sit clear across the gym from the parents. I prepared by bringing the fancy telescopic lense for my camera. Fancy lenses don't do much for a short little guy surrounded by all the tall kids in the class. This picture is pointing to the tip of Aiden's blond head. That's all we saw....hey, at least I try.

8. (Not shown) Bub's family started a new tradition this year of exchanging white elephants. Here's where I get to brag. We were declared the king and queen of white elephants there. We made a "Marygellan" navigational device for my Father in law's car. Instead of politely giving directions like those things usually do, it screams frantically at him just like my Mother in law does. :) The other white elephant we brought was a three foot long eating utinsel. It had a fork on one end and a spoon on the other. That way, you can eat anything you want off anyone else's plate without having to leave your seat. If you know the fitch family, you know it really will get used. Other gifts at the party included a vintage set of spice girls fashion dolls - still in the box! and a pair of travel underwear. I'm pretty sure this is a tradition we'll keep. I've already got my idea for next year.

9. (also not shown) Once again, I did not get 'treats' made to give to the neighbors for Christmas this year. But since my good intentions had already purchased all the ingredients, and festive packaging, I decided to do it for New Year's instead. Even then, we didn't get them delivered till a day or so after. And, even then, we didn't get them all delivered. (Aiden had a potty emergency) so *I still have a few bags of cookies sitting on my counter, that I keep opening and eating accidentally of course. Who am I kidding? I gave up. Some of you will never get your treats and I'm sorry. kind of. but I do still love you, even if I ate your treats.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Here's to good intentions and letting good enough be good enough.

4 comments:

{sheree} said...

Seriously Sue! You are one of the greatest people I know! I loved reading your recap of Christmas...it looks like Santa knew just what to get your kids!

Rachael said...

I loved your Christmas recap and I am happy that I received one of your New Year's goodie bag! The white chocolate/coconut cookies were delicious! I ate them all myself!

Rencher Fam said...

haha Sue-Loved this post! Our sledding adventure went about as good as yours-at least we try right?!

PS I did get a Canon Rebel for Christmas! We need to get together with Rebecca and take a class! I have been trying to figure it all out(when I have a spare moment) but I'm struggling!!! Take care and HAPPY NEW YEAR-Here's to being good enough!!!:)

Roberts Fam'ly said...

So cute! It looks like you have had fun! Maybe next year Aiden will enjoy sledding. :)