Saturday, January 24, 2009


Over the long weekend, we loaded up the kids and headed to St. George. It wasn't necessarily a pleasure trip. We went to Buzz's memorial service. He loved us, and we loved him. It was good to be there for him.
Even though it wasn't a pleasure trip, we did take time to find some pleasure in it. We met up with my nephew and his wife -Colin & Robin, and their little boy Karden. They took us just over the Arizona border on a little hike to see Indian petroglyphs. They were so cool! There was a trail most of the way, so we could take Emma in her stroller. when the trail got too rough, or too sandy, Bub carried her on his shoulders.

Colin & Robin like to go geo-caching - except they find it more challenging and adventurous to do it without the aid of a GPS. With their help, Aiden found a cache. He took a plastic army guy from it and left a quarter. (we didn't have anything else interesting in our pockets!)
Cute, fun family. We miss having them live closer, but it's nice to have someone to play with in St. George. A good excuse to go down more often.
Of course, Bub grew up down there in Hurricane (pronounced "Hurricun") so he'd love an excuse to move back. His childhood was full of adventures like these - exploring the dessert, finding petroglyphs, arrowheads, Indian pottery, along with rattlesnakes, scorpions and tarantulas. It was a great walk down memory lane for him, and he loved that the kids could experience a little bit of it. I was kind of hoping to see one of the scary creepy crawlies to take a picture. no such luck -- probably a good thing as I'm terrified of them all.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

I love St. George! It is like my second home. I'm so jealous that everyone was wearing jackets and short-sleeve shirts! I'm glad you had a fun time!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys had a good time! Thanks for directing me to that post. I actually stalk the blog regularily and when I read it the first time, it made me cry because I can relate. Thanks for reminding me of that. I'm glad that someone else understands!

Rencher Fam said...

Cute pictures Sue-I'm glad you were able to meet up with family. I love the pic with Emma on Bub's shoulders-I just love that cute little smile!

{sheree} said...

Looks like a fun weekend!
I'm glad to see that Aiden enjoyed geocaching, I've been wondering if maybe my kids were old enough to "get it" yet!

Miss M said...

Geo caching is really cool. It looks like you guys had a good time.

I forgive you for not sending me a Christmas card :)

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun trip. Very cute pictures! You're kids are growing up so fast. How old is Emma now? I remember her birthday is in March. Thanks for the cute Christmas picture you sent.