
Some people naturally eat healthy. Here at the Fitch house, we are being compelled to do so. A few weeks ago, Bub was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. You can tell by looking at me that nutrition is not my thing. But since my darlin's life is on the line - I'm trying to figure it all out.
I bought myself a few diabetic cookbooks, and we've really enjoyed the new healthy meals we've had. I've learned that even if something looks like cardboard - it can actually taste much better!
We have learned that diabetes is a lot different than what most people think it is. It really doesn't have much to do with how much sugar you eat, but instead how many carbs you eat. (foods your body turns into sugar)
Bub can have up to 60 grams of carbs per meal, and 15 grams of carbs for a snack. That's not a lot. We've been reading labels a lot and measuring serving sizes. There's also a great website the dietician gave us. Some of you who are already health conscious might like it. You can type in any recipe and it will give you the nutritional information on it. Click here to check it out.
While it has been a little scary and discouraging to find out about the diabetes, it's also been a good thing. We've been wanting to get healthier for a long time. But, like I said - nutrition is not my thing. Not only do I have great motivation for it now, but I also have some knowledge and tools on how to go about it. Hopefully - I'll find the girlish figure I've lost over the last 4 pregnancies! :) If you've got any tips or good recipes to share, let me know!

3 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that and hope that bub is coping well with it. If there is anything we can do for you and your family please let us know.
Sorry to hear about the diabetes. Hope being healthier makes positive changes for you all:) I will try to send a few recipes your way...
Sorry to hear about Mike's diabetes :( I hope you are able to get it under control.
Good luck with the new diet, I find that small changes (white to wheat, eating out 1x week, no soda, etc. are super hard at first, but then it becomes second nature. Good luck, I finally got my hubby to start eating better...and it only took 13 years...:)
Post a Comment