Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Who knew....
that parenting would be so hard! The other day Aiden had a friend over. I share my office/art room with the play room, so I was down stairs with them. As little boys do, they set up barricades at opposite ends of the room and proceeded to throw every toy we own at each other. I asked them three times to quit. (At our house, three is the magic number, then it's discipline time.) They kept throwing. I can see how it would be so much fun! an indoor snowball fight. But I'm a Mother. I'm thinking of all the injuries and stitches that could happen. I'm imagining gouges in my walls, and shattered picture frames. I felt especially offended that Aiden was sitting right in front of me, looking me in the face, and STILL disobeying. So, I sent the friend home and feeling rather clever, I told him that instead of TIME OUT that his punishment would be to pick up and put away all the toys he and his friend chucked around the room. (in hind sight, I should have had the friend stay and help pick up....but I'm still learning) I can understand that it could be a daunting task for a 5 year old. especially considering how big of a mess there was. But I did not expect what I got! Aiden threw himself down on the ground and began sobbing: "My Heart is Broken! Why do you HATE me?!!" Of course I can laugh now....drama queen...or king.....but for a mother to hear that! OH, the pain! the sorrow! ouch! I tried to explain that I love him, and that's why I was doing this. So he could learn to be accountable for his actions. A concept totally lost on a five year old. Still, I really do love him. and to his credit, he really did clean up the mess all by himself. It took him all night long but he did it. Bless his heart. And I'm still no closer to having the parenting thing figured out....seriously, who does?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh Sue..I love your entries because they make me feel like I am normal. I don't think that i will ever have the parenting thing figured out! you'll have to let me know how the digital scrapbooking is going. I hope we can take a class together sometime!
Oh Sue..I love your entries because they make me feel like I am normal. I don't think that i will ever have the parenting thing figured out! you'll have to let me know how the digital scrapbooking is going. I hope we can take a class together sometime!
Post a Comment