Saturday, December 1, 2007

Guess What Emma Got?!!





A huge thanks goes out to the Golden Spike Elks Club, for their generosity in helping us to pay for our share of Emma's new wheelchair. We are truly grateful. As you can see, she finally got her wheelchair. When we first put her in it, she immediately grabbed on to the wheels and started to cruise around. Of course, she could only go a few inches, because the wheelchair guy was still adjusting the seat and all the straps and everything. But it was really cool to see that she knew just what to do. Her therapist Julie, has been having her practice that on a little 'smart cart'. I'm not sure if she likes it yet, or if she really understands what it is and what it's for, as we have not had much chance to use it yet.

I woke up at 4:00 am yesterday to take her to Primary Children's Hospital for an MRI (brain scan) She has had two of them before. That's how the doctors found the 'blip' in her basal ganglia. They have to sedate her for it. We were surprised this time to find that Bub's Uncle Steve,who works there was the one to sedate her! It's kind of a traumatic thing for a parent. I've been through it twice before. I know how it all works. I know it's safe. I know she'll be okay. But when they give her the iv with sleep juice in it, with in less than a minute, she just goes limp in my arms. Then they take her away and strap her down to the table to go inside this huge machine. I can't even go into the room with the machine. I have to watch through a window. and once it starts, I am sent to sit and wait in the recovery room. There is such a helpless feeling about it all. Even though I know it's okay, there's something inside me that always wants to panic and cry. Needless to say, she made it through fine. She's a real trooper. Especially with all she has to go through. She truly is a special spirit. She doesn't even seem to know that there's anything bad in the world. Or anything in life worth ever getting upset over. I wish I were more like her. After she woke up, kind of, she was still pretty drugged up. Really groggy. They gave her apple juice and graham crackers and let us go home. She was pretty groggy and floppy the rest of the day. We won't know any results for another week or so. I don't expect any revelations from it though. They just want to compare it to the other MRIs she's had to make sure the 'blip' isn't changing or getting bigger. (that would mean that she has some sort of degenerative disease, rather than cerebral palsy)

For those of you, who have been following the blog for a while....The official verdict on the cookbook cover is in. actually, it's a split decision. Half of them want the retro housewife cover, and the other half want the pink wallpaper looking one. So, they are printing two different covers.

Have a great day everyone!

No comments: