Friday, December 7, 2007

More than thanks....

It has been a busy and hectic week. (As many are this time of year) I had planned to post much sooner than today.

I wanted to mention more about the ELKS. Many of you may remember my post from October 17. I wrote mostly about receiving help, but also about the difference between humiliation and humility. I want to clarify what that difference is....at least for me.

Back in October, we were faced with a situation we didn't know how to handle. Emma needed a wheelchair. We found out that wheelchairs are custom made for their owners, and that even a child's manual chair is extremely expensive. We have good insurance, but even with insurance, our percentage of the bill was way more that we could figure out how to afford. A friend of Bub's at the CJC (children's justice center) mentioned to us that the Elks could help us. Both Bub's grandpa, and mine were Elks up until the day they died. We had to think about it, and pray about it long and hard. It is difficult to realize that you can't provide your family with what they need, and even more difficult to ask for help. We had to swallow a lot of pride to come to the conclusion to ask for help. ....When you don't know what to expect, you create an idea based on the experiences you've had in life. I imagined the elks to be a somber group of old men wearing funny hats with antlers sitting in a dark room around a big long table. ( I watch too much TV) I pictured us as poor beggars off the street asking pathetically for money. It was at that point that I thought to myself: "This is humiliating." I could not have been further from the truth. We were asked to prepare a letter about Emma our family and our situation, and to present ourselves to the Elks. Bub and I took Emma and went to their lodge. I must say I was nervous, and a bit discouraged. When we arrived we were greeted by Bub's friend and her husband. They were so warm and kind to us! They welcomed us in, sat us down, and served us soft drinks as they talked with us. My inhibitions began to melt, though I was still nervous about going into the main meeting. When the time came for us to enter the meeting hall, I was pleasantly surprised to find people. regular people, not stuffy old men, and no funny hats! We walked to a small table in the center of the room to present our case. Everything was very proper and orderly. Both Bub and I got a little teary eyed as we read our letter out loud and heard ourselves actually say the words asking for help from strangers. I was holding Emma, trying to keep her still and quiet, and as I looked around the room, I saw these elks, these regular people, standing respectfully in their places, but quietly sneeking a smile, a wave, a peek-a-boo at our sweet little girl. Their 'exalted ruler' (the one in charge) Thanked US for giving them the opportunity to serve and help. There was no judgement, no scrutiny, just LOVE, and lots of it. THAT is the difference between humiliation and humility. It was difficult to ask for help, but because of their overwhelming kindness and love, we were able to keep our dignity.
We returned to the ELKS lodge this past Monday night to show them the wheelchair they bought for our Emma. Again, I was impressed by their pureness of heart and the sincerity of their love towards us. As we sat in the lobby getting the chair together and strapping Emma in, Aiden examined a glass case full of Elks pins. A kind gentleman came and shook his hand and said hello to him, and took the lapel pin off of his own shirt and gave it to Aiden. What a sweet and kind gesture. Again, we were escorted into the meeting room with Elks all around. They presented us with a check, and again THANKED US, for allowing them the blessings of serving. There was a lump in my throat, those wonderful people surrounded our little family with love. There were hugs, not a dry eye in the room, and the same gentleman who gave Aiden the pin, came forward and kissed Emma on the forehead. Our friend told them, "If any of you ever wonder why you pay your dues, this is the reason." and I believe it really is. There is no question in my mind that these good people and every purpose of the Elks club is to help others. Their heartfelt offering was given is such a beautiful and kind way, I truly believe they have turned service into an art. I don't wish to sound trite in saying this, but the Elks gave us much more than just a wheelchair. I feel like we are different people, better people for having experienced such a pure and sincere act of kindness. I mentioned before that both Bub and I have grandfathers who were elks. I always known my Grandpa was a good man, I've always been proud of him. But now, I am more proud of him, and proud to say that he was an Elk. I am especially grateful for Aiden's little pin, still stuck proudly to his sweater. He has a bit of his grandfathers now too, and something more to be proud of. I have a much greater appreciation for everything that I have. Somehow life all around seems brighter and happier. I am more grateful than I can say for the Elks and the experience we have had with them. Please take time to click on the links above and check out all the wonderful things the Elks club does for the community. They do an awful lot that goes unnoticed. Thank you again Elks. You have blessed our lives immeasurably.

1 comment:

Rencher Fam said...

What a touching post Sue. I'm glad that you are my friend. You are such a neat person and I have learned so much from you. You make me want to be better!!