Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....




Don't you just love to pull out the Christmas decorations each year? I do. I think as you grow up, Christmas really means to you what it always has as a kid. For me, I think of an old nativity set made of wooden dowels, wrapped in felt clothing, whose wise men carried bullion cubes as gifts for the little Christ child. Santa and Mrs. Claus made of old readers digests (my sisters know what I mean) on top of the piano, angel hair on the mantel, and PINK, not red or green Christmas stockings. Mine had a big Santa Claus on the front with a long white beard, and my name spelled out in Mom's handwriting in green glitter. Christmas was always such a magical time. I remember my sisters interrupting our play with sudden and urgent shouts: " I just saw one of Santa's elves!" I was sure that I had seen them too. We knew Santa was keeping good track of us!

My Mom once told me that "As times change, so do our traditions." I'm supposed to be all grown up now. But I can't help but think of the memories and magic that are growing in the Holiday traditions I make for my own children. I cling to my own memories and try to do the best I can to make something as wonderful for Aiden & Emma. It seems that everybody has their own favorite Christmas icon, snowmen, angels, stars, etc. But my thing is Santa Claus. I love that guy! Sometimes I feel guilty. I know that Christmas is really supposed to be about our Savior. I love that about Christmas. The greatest, longest lasting gift ever. no assembly or batteries required. But I love the fun part of Christmas too. Several years ago, I heard a poem that made me feel much better about giving Santa his share of Christmas too. I don't know the name of it, the author, and I don't remember any specific words from it. (If any one else has ever heard it PLEASE tell me, I'd LOVE to find it again.) But basically it pointed out the Santa has a long white beard, wears a red suit, knows if you are bad or good, and gives us gifts and uses helpers. Jesus Christ has a long white beard, has been known to wear red robes, knows if we are bad or good, and gives eternal gifts. He too, has helpers. The poem is so much more eloquent than that, but you get the idea. I think that Santa really is a character made up to be a type, or example of our Savior. I actually like the idea, because kids can really understand it. If you think about the other Christmas symbols, like a tree pointing to heaven, the wreath with it's green symbolizing life and it's circle symbolizing eternity, candy canes as Shepard's crooks, angels, stars.....Well, it really all works together after all doesn't it? We just live in a world where those things have been forgotten over time.
Alas, as much as I love Christmas, I have not done much with the decor. I pulled it all out after Thanksgiving, and put a few things out. But as of yet, Aiden is the only one to have decorated the tree. It is a fabulous collaboration of Star Wars and Candy Canes. I also have a small collection of Santas. They are my favorite. all of them. I try to add one to the collection every year. This year I saved a Tai Pan gift card from my birthday and got a cute little stuffed guy. One year, I made one because I was too poor to buy one. Can you guess which one it is? I usually always draw a lot of Santas at Christmas time too. They make great decorations, and are so fun! This year, I made a Santa paper doll. I still dream of making a really detailed and fun Santa like the fancy ones you see in the stores. Maybe next year. I've already dreamt up too many projects for myself this year. Hope I can get them all done! Good luck to you on all your holiday hustle and bustle too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found that felt nativity. It's in your box of stuff to take home.
I love that you remember "hearing"
the elves.Mom made such great memories and traditions for us. I miss her so much.

Love your blog..
DeAnn