Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Praise to the man.....









I can remember several prophets throughout my life time.  Spencer W. Kimball was the prophet when I was born.  followed by Ezra Taft Benson, and Howard W. Hunter.  Then President Hinckley.  I think President Hinckley is the only one I feel like I 'know' -- even though I don't really know him personally.  I have met him on several occasions.  First, as a missionary in Palmyra, New York.  He came to see the Hill Cumorah pageant, and to speak at our mission conference.  Because I was working at the Visitors Center that day, I didn't get to go to mission conference to hear him speak.  My Visitors Center Director, Chuck Canfield made arrangements instead for those of us who missed listening to him, to actually meet him.  He met with us, a small group of about 10 sisters in the Canfields apartment which was attached to the Hill Cumorah visitors center. I remember feeling so special to get that opportunity.  None of the other missionaries in the mission got to meet him.  We walked in a single file line to shake his hand and speak with him breifly.  When it was my turn, he looked at my name tag and said: "Sister Meeks!  Where are you from?"  I said "Murray, Utah."  "Murray, Utah!" he replied, "Where's that?!!" and he laughed.    He was wearing a bright shiny red St. Louis Cardinals jacket with a matching ball cap.  and a few minutes later he got on a golf cart, escorted by security and went to his special seating to watch the pageant.  He was such a kind, down to earth man.  He immediately made you feel comfortable in his presence.  I didn't meet him again until September of 2004.  Bub's grandpa, Grandpa Richards was a good friend of President Hinckley's -- they grew up together.  I'll leave out all the details, but suffice it to say, Grandpa Richards arranged for President Hinckley to come meet with the whole Richards family.  We introduced him to Aiden and asked him if Aiden could sit on his lap for a picture.  He was happy to oblige us, and seemed just like another Grandpa.  After visiting with many of us, he said, "I'd like to say something." then he stood up in front of us all with his cane, and spoke of his memories, and great love for Bub's great grandfather Stephen L. Richards.  I wasn't able to write down everything he said, or remember much of it, but when we got home I wrote what I could remember.  He said:  "There is not a man outside of my father that I love more, respect more, than Stephen L. Richards.  I remember the day he died.  It was May 19,1959.  We [The missionary committee] were in meetings that morning.  The meeting started at 7:30 but he never came.  Shortly afterward, I got the call that he had been taken to the hospital and had passed away.  It was a personal tragedy in my life."  What a beautiful gift to give to a family. A sweet and heartfelt tribute to their loved one.  And to those of us in the younger generation, my children included: a little something more to add to a great love and appreciation of their family heritage.  Last, I met President Hinckley In January of 2006, at the viewing of Grandpa Richards.  It was a quick visit.  He came into the room and looked at his old friend laying peacefully in his casket.  I don't remember if he said anything.  I'm sure he did.  But all I remember is feeling inside myself his appreciation for Grandpa progressing through the veil.  Not necessarily wanting to go himself, but still looking forward to his turn as a good and welcomed gift to be reunited with many loved ones including his dear wife Marjorie.  Again, these are just my own impressions.  Nevertheless, I love President Hinckley.  He is a sweet, and happy person.  He reminds me of the primary song "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam"  he was just like a sunbeam.  He brought light and warmth where ever he went.  I can speak for our whole family when I say that we are happy for him.  But, that he will be greatly and dearly missed. 

5 comments:

Colin Meeks said...

thank you for sharing you thoughts and feelings. In deed "Praise to the Man...."

Rencher Fam said...

What a beautiful post Sue and what a neat picture that is of Aiden and Pres. Hinckley.

Rencher Fam said...

What a beautiful post Sue and what a neat picture that is of Aiden and Pres. Hinckley.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute! Consider yourself one lucky girl to even be in his presence. What a wonderful memory!
Thanks for sharing!

Roberts Fam'ly said...

Thank you for this post, it means a lot to me. I was in Cedar when he came to be with the family, and if you remember it was short notice, so I wasn't able to make it but it still means a lot to hear about what he shared. What an impact one man has made!