Wednesday, January 9, 2008

sledding anyone?





We woke up to find 6 new inches of snow outside this morning. It's afternoon now, and still snowing. I decided to go out and shovel the driveway earlier. I grew up in a home with a single mother and a bunch of girls. We learned how to work. It used to be my job to shovel the driveway in the mornings before school. My Mom taught me to serve others too. It was also my job to shovel the driveway and walks of the widow across the street. I remember it being a hard job. But, I am spoiled by a husband who doesn't let me do that anymore. Still, this morning I thought I would anyway, and I remembered what a hard job it really is. I got half the driveway done and quit. My muscles are still sore. It was fun though in a way.

Ever since my mission, and tracting in the super cold, super wet, New York snow -- I have been a sissy in cold weather. Today, I enjoyed being out in the snow. I couldn't help but miss the house my Dad built for us in Sandy. Right out our back door was 'the gully' and the best darn sledding hill any kid could wish for. And, we had it all to ourselves. We spent hours outside sledding everytime it snowed. Aiden and Emma got a sled from Grandma and Grandpa Fitch for Christmas, and today, I am DYING to go SLEDDING! After kindergarten, the kids and I built a snowman in our front yard. I think they've had enough cold for right now, but I'm just itching inside for a sled ride. The problem is, we live in farm country out here. That means fields and pastures (a lot of new houses), but no hills......I've been asking around, and we may have found one or two. I'll see if I can get the kids warmed up a bit before we go.

I had to take a picture of our house with the yard all covered in snow. We have a nice big yard, but it's never been landscaped, and is full of weeds. I have been waiting ever since we moved here for there to be enough snow to cover up all the ugly weeds. I think we've finally done it! The picture was taken at almost the corner of the front yard. You can just see part of Aiden's "christmas tree" that Melody bought us as a housewarming gift. (she also bought us two others that you can't see in the picture) Hope you all are enjoying the snow! I sure am. Just hope I can talk the kids into going sledding later......

4 comments:

Rencher Fam said...

Don't you love these big snow storms?! My boys had the time of their lives today! What cute kids you have.

DA pages said...

Somedays I hate the snow (mostly the part when you don't realize it has snown and you go our to your car to find it covered in snow and have to go somewhere in a hurry!) but is sure is beautiful. I bet the kids had a blast in it.

DA pages said...

thanks for the comment on my blog! I thought it was funny, and I was probably asking for it too.

Rebecca said...

I sure do love your red door! Looks like lots of fun!
Rebecca Larson