
Slowly, but surely I am catching up on my missed blogging over the last month or so. I thought I'd start by posting some pictures of Aiden's birthday party. He's decided this year that he wanted a science party.
I know nothing about science.
But, as we mothers do, I forged ahead and tried to make a nice celebration for my boy. Fortunately, when we were first married, I worked as a receptionist for a little company called "Loose in the Lab" They make science kids for elementary schools. So, I went to Sandy to pay them a visit and got a science kit called "snot in a box" I thought 6-7 year old boys would like that. We also bought a bunch of 'pre-forms'. Pre-forms look like plastic test tubes, but they are really the start of a 2 liter coke bottle before it is blown out and made into the shape of a bottle. We made little tags that looked kind of like scientific labels with the name of the invitee and directions to 'drink the serum'. We made a separate invitation and laminated it, then rolled it up inside the tube. Then we filled it with green jello. Aiden thought it would be so funny for his friends to try to 'drink' it, then find out it's really jello!
On a Saturday night (AFTER BUB WAS HOME FROM WORK) our house was overtaken by excited and curious 6 and 7 year old boys and one girl. We started out by asking them why their Moms tell them not to eat candy and drink soda pop. Then, we showed them what happens when you put mentos in diet coke. Bub stood out on our back porch to demonstrate. It was a hit! so much, that we went through 2 liters and a six pack doing it!
We then went through various other experiments making slime and tornados with empty pop bottles. And of course presents and cupcakes that they got to experiment with (mixing food coloring in their frosting) and decorating themselves. And sent them home with a goody bag of little scientific trinkets and candy.
All in all, I think it was a success. Afterwards, I collapsed and thanked heavens that it was over.

2 comments:
That sounds like the funnest birthday party ever! You're such a good mom, Sue!
You guys have had some great birthday parties! What darling kids you have!
Post a Comment