Today, my thoughts have turned inward. I'm pleasantly reviewing my life as it is now, and appreciating all the places I've been along the way. Nobody's life is perfect. Mine certainly isn't perfect. But I truly believe that life is good.
I've heard it said that if everybody went into a room and threw all their troubles in the middle, that we'd all still choose our own to pick up and take back out with us. I agree. My prayers are full these days of several people I know who are struggling with difficult and heart breaking situations. You may or may not know who you are. I feel like I've been through my share of difficult things, and there's no doubt in my mind that there will be more in the future. I'm just grateful for time and the perspective it lends. As I look back on my own struggles, I see a sweetness in them. I've learned and grown so much. I would not be the person I am today without them. And while I find myself wanting to pray for other's trials to go away, there's a little something inside me that reminds me that doing so would rob them of these sweet blessings that come from the struggle. So, I'm not sure what to say to people, I'm not always sure what to pray for. I think sometimes that I expect myself to know how to help - because I am acquainted with struggle - but the truth is, I'm only acquainted with my own struggles, and no two trials are ever the same.
I wish I could make things better for everyone. Take the struggle and the heartache away. But, I suppose that would be Satan's plan wouldn't it?
No, life is not perfect. But it's right. It's just how it needs to be. I trust in Heavenly Father, that he loves us, and takes care of us, and that he has careful plans for each of us - especially through our trials.
Have you ever heard of the parable of the bicycle? It goes something like this: A little boy wants a bicycle. He works hard and saves all his pennies to get it. When his Dad takes him to the store, he realizes that all his efforts have only yielded $1.68 toward his goal. But his father, steps in and says, "Don't worry, I'll take care of the rest" and the boy is able to get his bicycle.
I've always liked that parable. But just the other day, someone said something that made me look at it another way. I've always compared it to our lives here trying to overcome sin, and our Savior stepping in, to take care of the sins we cannot pay for ourselves. But today, I'm looking at it on a smaller more personal level. I'm looking at it in regard to the burdens we carry, and the struggles we go through. We work hard, we put all our effort in to just surviving and dealing with difficult things. And are still unable to get through, to 'purchase the bike' with our efforts alone. But it is a kind and loving Heavenly Father through his son, our Savior who steps in to take care of the rest. He carries the burden that we cannot. I'm so grateful for the many 'bicycles' he's purchased on my behalf.
So for those of you in my prayers, I'm praying that you'll get your bicycle paid for. I love you. I hope you know who you are.

3 comments:
i love rainy days too! must be in the genes...
What a great thought about the bicycle parable. I have heard it likened to sin before, but never considered the burden's or trials that can be carried! Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness!!
You would think being the oldest would make you the strongest and the wisest. Not true! I read the wisdom of my youngest sibling, and realize how much more complete, and in depth her thoughts are. I see the strength and determination of my little brother, and feel ashamed at the way I have handled some of the small chalanges I have been asked just endure. I am greatful for rainy days too, and the on going blessings I receive by having such great examples in my life.
Post a Comment