Friday, October 5, 2007

The Soup Gods are Frowning.....





Do you ever wonder if Murphy's law is real? Or if you've been cursed? I've got to tell you about the series of unfortunate events that have occurred recently in such a strangely random way, that all I can do is laugh. (Then scratch my head and look around cautiously)
Travel back in time with me: 3 weeks. A baby blessing and a pot luck. The weather was just starting to cool down. I decided to make CORN CHOWDER. I have a wonderful recipe of my Mother in laws. (*you must know that my husband's ENTIRE family are fabulous cooks, you know the kind who don't measure, they just say "oh, a little bit of this and a little bit of that" and it tastes like ambrosia....heavenly...really.) I've made the recipe before. And It's always turned out great, if I do say so myself. ...Except, that is on the day I made it for the baby blessing. It was burnt. It tasted like charcoal. My Sweet husband said "I wouldn't say it's burnt, It just has a smoky flavor" No big deal these things happen. So 2 weeks ago, I signed up to make soup for the Relief Society General Women's conference dinner. I thought I'd make the CORN CHOWDER again. after all, it was sure to be a success wasn't it? Well, Everything was lovely at home. It's creamy velvety texture was softly bubbling, and it's warm intoxicating scent was wafting through the house. Then, I took it to the Stake Center. It looked wonderful. So wonderful that all the ladies at my table chose it, including me. I was looking forward to tasting it until I put the first bite in my mouth and it was ICE COLD! I mean, it felt like it had just come out of the refridgerator! My crock pot was toasty hot on the outside, but the pretty little bubbles had popped along with my hopes of being labled domestically compitent amongst the RS sisters.(I must admit it was somewhat comical and enjoyable to watch them all try to be polite and gracious about something so obvious! lol!) Which brings us to LAST NIGHT. The ward soup cook off. I was hesitant. 2 strikes already. My friends encouraged me "Third time's a charm!" Yes. I believe that. I agree. I know I can do this. I've made this soup before. I've made it well before. What else could possibly go wrong?..... Well, let me tell you. The gruesome pictures you are looking at are proof of the sad demise of my faithful crock pot of 8 years. Again, I attempted to make the CORN CHOWDER. I was waiting for the base to thicken, and set the crock on the stove top for just a moment. I heard a strange sort of popping noise. Kind of like the sound of popping something metal back into shape. It sounded like it came from the hot plate. I grabbed hold of the handles on the crock to lift it up and see what had made the sound. ...I saw it alright. all over the stove, myself, and the kitchen floor. apparently, my crock cracked all the way around, leaving the bottom, separated from the top. Take note: You Cannot make soup in a bottomless pan! I still hold to optimism. But in this case I must say that it's more likely that bad things happen in threes! Either that or my CORN CHOWDER is CURSED!!!! I gave up on the chowder. I took breadsticks to the the soup cook off. and I must say, they were really great breadsticks. I'm going to post the infamous chowder recipe and I CHALLENGE anybody else to make it! Halloween is perfect for cursed soup. make it. go ahead I DARE YOU!

1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
onion diced (about 1/2 a medium size onion)
1 quart half & half
salt (a few shakes)
pepper (a few shakes)
onion powder ( about 1/2 tsp.)
season salt (about 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
pinch of time
1 lb bacon (optional)
one bag frozen corn
one bag frozen cubed hashbrowns

(If you choose to use bacon, cook it up, add the onions to it and sautee for a few minutes. add it,with the onions drippings and all, where the instructions say to add onions)

In a sauce pan combine flour and MELTED butter.Add half & half and dry spices. Once thick, Add corn and hashbrowns.

8 comments:

Susan said...

oops...sorry, you are supposed to add the onions with the corn and the hashbrowns.

Karyn said...

sorry Sue....I cant believe it broke like that...love you
Karyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue!! I so love looking at your blog! It makes me feel close to you again. You sure make me smile. I miss you and I wish that we would have been able to get together when you were in OR. Maybe next time...

Susan said...

Oh, Cute Karen! I love you too! Do you still make those yummy cream puffs? I never could get those to work either! ha ha!

DA pages said...

Oh no sue! I am so sorry that that happened, but I have to say it make for a funny story, and now it will always be a perfect meal for halloween "The Tale of the Cursed Corn Chowder" I love your blog, it is so fun!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I looked back at the comment section! I have made those cream puffs once since I was last with you! You were the only one to really appreciate those creations...When we are together I will make them for you. :)

Matt & Ali said...

How sad! Im not much of a cook so im sure things like this would happen to me more if i cooked more. But im sure marring into the Fitch family your a fabulous cook, things just happen. How are you doing in your new home and ward? I talk to Emily a lot and Mary when i do her hair. I think about you often and wonder how you are so i thought i would say hi when i saw you were on Em's blog!

Susan said...

Ali, you are so sweet to wonder about me! We are doing fine. I've heard about your recent life adventures as well. I'm so sorry you've had to go through what you have. Bub and I have thought a lot about you and are always hoping that things are going well and working out for the best.
keep checking back on my blog, eventually I hope to do some scrapbooking giveaways! :)