Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You can learn a lot from a tree....

What a beautiful rainy morning. I love the rain. I got up in the night and watched the lightning and rain out the front window. Peaceful personal moments like that can be such a gift. I have always loved the rain. I love the colors. all the soft and bold shades of blues and greys and the way the greens and yellows seem so intense. The way the whole world seems to slow down and snuggle up inside their homes. I believe rain is good for everybody. We need to slow down and just stare out the window sometimes.
It's interesting...the things you think about when your brain doesn't have to think about anything at all. a couple of days ago, I cleaned all the bathrooms in the house, and my mind got going. Have you ever noticed how you never hear people tell you when they are really struggling with something and need help? They will tell you afterwards, but never during the struggle. We ask each other habitually, "how are you?" but how often do you get a real thought out response, and why is it that we are so unwilling to let others know when we need them the most? Is it that we feel ashamed to admit that we struggle? Is it fear of judgement? Or is it that deep down we know the 'story' isn't over yet? We know we'll make it through this, why share it before you can look back and talk about it in past tense? I don't know the answer to these questions, but I know that we all do it.
I recently had an experience where I had to ask for help. (something I will share about at a later date. you'll understand why) It is hard. I did not realize that I had so much pride. I kept thinking "I can do this. I really don't need help. THere are so many others who need it more than I do." I had no logical plan, and could see no real way that I COULD do it, still, I didn't believe I needed help from somebody else. I did not want to ask. At first I thought to myself "This is humiliating." But the more I thought about it, the more I realized "No, It's humbling." there's a difference.
As a missionary, One of the most important things I learned is that EVERYONE has a need. Everyone has some sort of struggle or problem in their lives. Just reading that I'm sure that something in your life (maybe two or three) came to mind. Why do we feel like we have to struggle alone?
The lord has commanded us to comfort those that stand in need of comfort, mourn with those that mourn, to love each other as he has loved us. And aren't we all willing to help? why then, is it so hard to RECEIVE help?
again. I don't know the answer. I do know however, that there are immeasurable blessings to be had for both the giver and the reciever.
My favorite place on earth is a grove of trees in upstate New York. I came to know it on my mission. Most of us know it as the sacred grove. It feels like home to me.
With in the grove, there is a tree. two trees to be precise, that have taught me about giving and recieving, and in the process have brought me a constant reminder of strength and peace and love. I have these two pictures sitting on my kitchen counter for that purpose. They may look like ordinary trees, but if you look closely you'll see that they share a root. They are connected. Did you know, that a forest cannot survive if all the trees are the same size? The larger trees help to shelter and protect the smaller trees from harsh elements. The small trees help to add new nutrients to the soil and help the large ones to grow. They all need each other, in what ever state they are in, or none of them can survive. The day I came to know these two trees was a particulary difficult day for me as a missionary. I had been struggling with and unknown illness, and was very discouraged about everything. I wanted to give up on life all together. I was serving about an hour away from the sacred grove at the time, but my soul longed to go there and I was able to get permission to do so. It was winter. As I walked through the tall barren trees, I felt much like they looked. Barren, empty, worn down. I was praying, my heart was crying out to my heavenly father not in words or thoughts, just in sorrow and pain. But as I walked, I came across these two trees. I noticed the smaller one first. then, noticed it's root, how it reached out and connected with the bigger tree. they were one. That day, it seemed to me that the smaller tree was holding on the bigger tree. The stronger tree. It seemed to me that the larger tree had reached out to give strength to the smaller tree. That's what I needed that day. I needed to remember that even though I am a little tree, that my Father in Heaven was big and strong, and holding onto me to sustain me and keep me growing.
Today, now that I've lived a little more life, and have grown a little more, I am still a little tree. But I see that I am not the only one who is blessed by my connection to the big tree. It goes both ways. That big tree needs me too. It needs to give to me and recieve from me in order for both of us to grow. Just as all of us need each other.
I believe that's how service works too. As nice as it is to give, it is equally important to recieve.
I'm not sure which of those trees reached out to the other first. But the point is....they reached. There can be no connection without reaching. Having the humility to ask for help, makes it all that much more meaningful and appreciated. I know my ramblings and thoughts probably are not very articulate, and have probably not made a lot of sense. But I'd like to challenge any of you reading this, to humble yourself enough to reach out for the help you need. Allow someone else the blessings and joy of helping you. "For in asmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it unto me." You may feel like you are the person who least deserves love, but let yourself be the least of His. Let yourself be blessed, and bless in return by loving and being loved as our Heavenly Father has intended us to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! This was meant for me to read Sue. Love ya!!

Susan said...

I'm glad. I love you too!