Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"I Have Issues" (or, What happened to Fly Lady?)

You may (or may not) have noticed that I took fly lady off the side bar a few days ago. Well, here's the story:

My house was beautiful and sparkling clean in almost every room (!) which was good, because I was expecting a visit from My mission president and his wife, as well as one of my cute companions.I had not invited, nor was I expecting a visit from this guy: who interupted our mid-morning breakfast with a run across the kitchen floor.

I did this:

and this:

and called Bub who said: "It's just a field mouse." (as if that particular distinction does anything for me.) Since that day I have been living like this:

Because it's hard to walk into a kitchen while standing on chairs, Fly Lady went out the window. I've been running in, sitting on the counter with my feet up to stick something in the microwave for the kids. (quick food, so I don't have to stay in the kitchen long) Then, afterwards I just chuck the dishes into the sink from as far away as possible. I'm getting to be a pretty good shot, but my sink is not shining, and I don't know how all those dishes are going to get clean, as Bub does not do dishes, and he's never home to do them anyway.

Bub was home long enough on Sunday (barely) to help me clean out the pantry, looking for nests, tracks, and the actual perpetrator. We didn't find a nest. Perhaps the start of one with the old forgotten crepe paper from our slew of March birthdays, but only three little turds. So, we're fairly certain that there is only one mouse and that it hasn't been here long. That should be comforting. It should. But it's not.

The "incident" occurred exactly one week ago today. And while my anxiety has calmed in the slightest degree, I am still mostly terrified and horrified. Not only are mice filled with

germs and disease, but they can fit into any space the size of a pencil eraser! That could be anywhere and everywhere! And they have no control of their functions, which means they "go" where ever they go! I have not slept, gone barefoot or sat down with my feet on the ground for the past week. I have six mouse traps loaded through my kitchen. I realize and acknowledge that my paranoia is totally irrational-- my psychologist husband has clearly pointed out that this is a "phobia" -- though I did not know I had it. until one week ago. I grew up with cats for pets. I've never had to worry about mice before.

Bub says Cody will eat the mouse. I've never heard of a dog eating a mouse before. But It's something I'd like to believe. Just in case, I make him come with me where ever I go in the house. He's a good dog.

I kind of want a cat right now though. or a vampire. I'm sure after reading Breaking Dawn that those vampires could simply come in and hear that nasty little heartbeat somewhere, and would probably even pick it up for a nice little snack....Does anyone have one I can borrow? a vampire or a cat.

I'll be waiting on my chair to hear from you.

7 comments:

Rencher Fam said...

Haha! I would be freaking too Sue! I wish that I had a vampire AND a cat to offer you but sadly, I have neither. Good Luck and I hope that one of those traps snap soon!!!

{sheree} said...

LOL! I love reading your blog Sue! I hope you catch it soon! I would totally be freaking out too!

Karyn said...

Mom had the same issue with mice I remember many times when we were at the cabin we would find Mom standing on a chair. I think that is the only reason she let us have cats. I remember when I was little I would take the half dead mice from the cats to tease Mom I always found it funny watching her scream and run to the nearest chair she would half scream/cry PUT THAT BACK OUTSIDE KARYN! GO WASH YOUR HANDS!THAS NOT FUNNY!
Good luck sis! I love ya
Karyn

Trudy said...

Hey Sue,

To tell you the truth, I'm more afraid of the dead mouse in the trap than the live mouse running through my house. But I wouldn't choose to have either one around! Maybe you should give Aiden the chore of catching the mouse!?

DA pages said...

Ha, I had that same problem before and I couldn't find the nest, but finally like two weeks later when ryan and I were watching tv we hear the trap snap and the mouse was gone! I think though that I wouldn't mind a specific vampire helping me catch anything right now!

Rachael said...

Ewww! I hate mice as well. One of the very first times that Nick hung out with my family, we had a mouse run behind the TV. All of us were up on couches in the next nano-second while he sat there laughing at all of us!

Mel said...

yikes, we had mice, two little baby ones, about a month or two after we moved in. NOTHING worked to get ride of them, we tried all sorts of traps and things. they are so smart. finally we found where they were coming out from and put down sticky paper, it was the only thing that tricked them. then justin had to "take care of it", once they were stuck. I really didn't want to know!

also, I only did the shining your sink with fly lady, and although it probably needs to be shined again, it has remained clear of dishes for about 2-3 months now (whenever you very first posted about it). so thanks!