But I worry for Aiden and the issues he had last year. The school seems to believe he has ADHD. While it's rather likely to be true, I still want to have him checked out by professionals to be sure, and to get a more clear idea of exactly what we're dealing with, as well as getting a good sense of what all the options are. I'm not against medication. But I want to be sure it's absolutely necessary before I make any decisions, and make sure it's the right thing for him. If there are alternatives to doping up my child, what are they? Mind you, this was the middle of last school year that all this came to light. We had the hardest time finding anyone to 'check him out' it was one big goose-chase! The soonest we could get in to be seen by anyone is August 27. Three days after school starts! So, I dread school for the challenges he might face, but I am hopeful that if he does have ADHD that there may be something to help him.
I guess I'm kind of going through a bit of the same thing with Emma. Not about school. --She will start going to preschool 4 days a week this year, opposed to just 2 days a week last year. But she loves it, and they love her. At preschool, she gets physical, occupational, and speech therapy. But since there isn't any preschool during the summer, the only therapy she gets is physical therapy that she goes to at the primary children's rehab center in Ogden. I wanted her to be able to get speech therapy through the summer too, since she seems to be gaining a lot of momentum with her speech. So, we were evaluated by the speech therapist at the rehab center. But in order to get it all started, she also had to have her hearing screened -- hearing problems can effect speech after all. So, recently we've visited the Primary Children's clinic in Bountiful. It's pretty tricky trying to test hearing on someone whose communication and responses are delayed. We had to go back 3 different times, because they just couldn't get any conclusive information.
On one test, she just has to sit there. They put little probes in her ear that let out a noise. The sound goes through the coclea where it is amplified and sent to the brain. The brain then sends it back into the ear. The probes measure the sound that comes back (that's how I understand it anyway) They test at four different levels of sound. On our last visit there, they were able to determine that in both ears, on the fourth level, she was not getting any response. So....there may be some mild hearing loss there. Since she couldn't quite master the test in the sound booth, the only way to tell what's going on is a sedated test to be done at Primary Children's in Salt Lake. She may need hearing aids. At first, I felt defeated and discouraged. I just didn't feel like I could handle having one more thing wrong. One more thing to separate her from other kids. One more disability. But, the more I think about it, the more hopeful I get.
Hearing affects speech. Balance comes from your inner ear. Perhaps I'm grasping at straws here, but it seems possible to hope that if there is a problem, if she does need hearing aids, that it might be the 'magic' thing she's needed to help her talk. And even further---- I've heard of people who cannot walk straight without their hearing aids--maybe it could help her with her walking too! I can't help but be optimistic, whether it all pans out that way or not. To the meanie who asked if we've given up the idea that some great miracle is going to happen: "NO!" I'll keep hoping for the miracle thank you very much.
My heart aches to help my children. I don't want them to have to struggle anymore than they have to. As a parent, there is so little we can do to spare our children from life's challenges. With both kids, there are problems. But more importantly, a diagnosis or a confirmation of the specific problem also brings hope for help. and we're getting closer to that for both of them. It's true when they say "knowing is half the battle" what a blessing just to know.

4 comments:
Oh Sue-I'm glad that you aren't giving up on miracles. It will be interesting to see what happens with little Emma when she gets her hearing aids. I have heard from several other people that getting a child tested for ADHD was difficult for them too. Hang in there. What lucky kids Aiden and Emma are to have YOU! Thanks again for the Howlers and Growlers. I just got the credits put on my blog but I'm not sure if I did it right? I will post your website because I know tons of people will ask me how they can get their hands on your work-YOU'RE AWESOME SUE!!
Everyday holds the possibility of a miracle! I wonder what my life would have been like if I would have stopped believing in a family a few years ago!
I think you are wise to follow this up when the kids are still quite young and impressionable! We have been working with a speech therapist for Porter for a year now and are seeing huge progress (and its nice to have a reassurance from someone that actually knows "their stuff" that things are working!
I will keep you in my prayers! BTW, I am stealing your "New Years Resolution at the beginning of school idea"...I think its fantastic!
PS Thanks for the plug for the business. You are a total sweetie!
You are an amazing woman! I would never know that you have this much going on in your life. You probably only blog about a part of it. "Everything will work out..."(that's my quote from Pres. Hinckley).
I agree with you that knowing is half the battle. I think that not knowing how to help your children is one of the hardest parts of being parents. I also believe in miracles. I hope everything works out with Emma and the hearing aids. If Emma is going to preschool in the mornings, Ethan might be in there at the same time. That would be fun!
Post a Comment