Thursday, September 11, 2008


Step Three: Color it with watercolor pencils.
There is still time to enter the drawing for this original illustration. I was hoping one or two lurkers would come out! come on, isn't the color tempting? Marie from family services, I know you're out there reading this. Don't you want to enter the drawing? Cute Karen from Salem?...

On a side note, here's an update of my August 10, post. We spent the day at Primary Children's hospital today. Emma had her sedated hearing test. Not fun. In preparation, we had to keep her awake 3 hours later than usual, and wake her up 3 hours early. Then keep her awake for the hour long car ride to the hospital, and another hour or so getting all the paper work and yada yada stuff done until they could sedate her. Oh, and she couldn't eat anything after midnight.
The test itself took about an hour, but they couldn't release her until she woke up from the sedation, drank something and kept it down for at least 15 minutes. It's been a long day.

We did get the results immediately though. It appears that Emma has moderate hearing loss in both ears. The left ear a little more severe than the right. A regular conversation to us, sounds like whispers to her. She has never heard the birds chirping, or raindrops, or the wind rustling the leaves through the trees.....She has been living in an entirely different world than I ever imagined. We have a stack of doctors phone numbers and appointments to make. She will get hearing aids. And I can only imagine how fun and exciting it will be to watch her experience so many sounds for the first time! It should really be able to help her with her speech, and even though I might be stretching--I'm hoping it might even help her walking, since your balance comes from your inner ear. we'll see.

Aiden's ADHD appointment was cancelled two hours before we were supposed to go. I about died. When we scheduled it back in May, the earliest appointment they had was the end of August. We waited 4 months to get cancelled on! Cruel twist of fate: the doctor had to take his wife to the emergency room. I'm beginning to feel like finding about Aiden is just not meant to be! lol! We have rescheduled for next Tuesday, so-keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe!! Thanks for the mention Sue!! You are so talented! How are things going anyways? You doing alright?--Karen

Anonymous said...

What a long day! It will be so neat when she gets her hearing aids and she hears all the new sounds. You are such a strong person and I love to read your blog!

Trudy said...

Does Emma get to choose cute colored hearing aids? I'm excited to see what happens when she can hear the world around her. She's such a beautiful girl and we love her spirit. Keep it up Super Mom!

Robin said...

The best thing about getting hearing aids is she probably gets to pick out fun funky colors depending on what molds she gets. Good luck!