Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Goodbye to an old friend....



Last night, we did some yard work. I am pleased to announce that we have ONE flower in our yard. Finally, something alive besides our field of weeds.
After the yard work Bub loaded my old bike onto the bike rack and drove it away. I watched as he pulled out and disappeared around the corner. And as silly as it seems, I felt sad. As you know, I just got a new bike (that I love!) But to see my old bike go...it's like losing an old friend. I've been through a lot with that old bike. It's a good bike. It's been well loved. I got it when I was a junior in high school. I named it Nigel. We had many adventures together. We accomplished things I didn't think I could. We hit the trails and braved the wilderness and sweat through endless climbs, and CONQUERED doubts and mountains as we flew.....It's just a bike. I know. But there are so many good memories, good feelings attached to it. It really is hard to see it go. I can't help but feel like I'm letting go of a little piece of my self.
Bub only took it down the street. He gave it to my friend. But secretly, I'm glad he didn't ask me to go. Saying good-bye is hard enough. Actually handing it over and leaving it behind is a different thing all together.
Sometimes I think I'm weird that way. I remember when I was little. Maybe 5 or 6 years old. My older sister had a friend with a baby who didn't have much. She wanted me to give some of my old toys to her friend's baby. I thought that was a great idea. I wanted to help the baby. I carefully chose several old stuffed animals and a few other toys to give away. But as they were about to leave, I fell apart. I kept looking at those toys. my old friends. and I worried about them in my heart. I felt real heartache imagining the abandonment they would feel--thinking I sent them away because I didn't love them anymore. But I didn't have the skills or ability to express that then. I just cried and said "No" I didn't end up giving them away. I just couldn't. My older sister was mad at me. She told me I was selfish.
I've always had a problem parting with certain things. Not everything. But certain things. It's just very difficult for me. It seems silly that one should form an emotional attachment to an object. I guess that's where pack rats and hoarders come from. And while I don't consider myself a true pack rat, and certainly not even close to being a hoarder, I definitely have the tendencies.
I'm a little torn about it to tell you the truth. On the one hand, I want a clutter free home. I don't think it's good to hold on to stuff and I can recognize it as just stuff. On the other hand, I think it's good to truly love and appreciate the things you have. Some people don't. I think to them, stuff is just stuff for the possession of it. What they have will never be good enough and they'll never have enough of it.
All I can say is that I'm glad my old bike Nigel has gone to a good home. I hope they'll love him and have as many grand adventures with him as I have.
secondly, I'm glad Bub doesn't read my blog. He'd surely diagnose me with some kind of attachment disorder, or other mental illness.
with that said:
Good bye old friend. You are well loved.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So sad to hear about your bike...I'm kinda the same way with certain things. For me, its baby clothes. I remember so many things that happened when my boys were wearing certain things that it is hard to give them away. I know- I'm crazy but it's true! :)

Unknown said...

aaahhh man! I'm on Alan's laptop again tonight. I hope you don't get freaked out!!!!!!!!:)

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one that has a hard time letting go of "stuff". I feel bad for days every time I take something to the DI, Lindsay also thinks I have a mental disorder.

Anonymous said...

I cannot think of anything that I have truly been sad parting with. Maybe my husbands car, a camaro, when we first were married. That just came to me. It made me sad. Sometimes I will see a camaro and wonder if it was his. Mostly I love the feeling of giving things away and making other people happy because it makes me happy. :)