Tuesday, March 11, 2008

HELLO BILL!



Q: What do you get when you cross Lyons with Elks?
A: Angels!

Our friends from the Elks, Geri & Dick Lyons invited us to attend the Elks Statewide meeting in Provo on Saturday. We were supposed to let them all meet Emma and show off her new wheels. But, we ended up getting the surprise of our lives! They have blessed us so much with raising the money to pay for Emma's wheelchair, but again 'passed the hat' around. LITERALLY passed the hat around and came up with over $2200 to help us with her medical bills! Dick said that he didn't tell us that they were going to do that, because he thought we wouldn't have come. He's right about that. We have been so blessed by them already. Surely there is someone else more deserving than we are. I don't know why they chose us, but we are certainly humbled and grateful. Thank You doesn't seem to say enough, but it's all I know to say. So, for lack of a better expression, THANK YOU! to the Elks once more for being so, so, generous. I was thinking about my favorite book the other day, "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. Particularly about Jean Valjean being so touched by an act of kindness--the priest giving him the silver candlesticks--that it changed the whole course of his life. From then on, he lived to give, and to make life better for others. I feel the elks have done that for us. If you ask them about it, they say "that's just what we do. Elks care, Elks share." I can't help but think what fun it would be to give like that. I've given service my whole life, I've always tried to be kind and helpful, but I am excited to find the opportunities around me to help in such a meaningful way. I don't think it necessarily needs to be through money like they gave. But I believe that each of us have unique tools of our own to help those who cross our path. I pray that I'll be able to recognize the opportunities when they come to me. And as time goes on, as we get more established in our life and careers, We'll be able to serve in bigger, grander ways. The point is, that we serve. I am reminded of the song by Alabama, one of my all time favorite songs. The words to the chorus say "I Believe there are angels among us, sent down to us from somewhere up above. They come to you and me in our darkest hours, show us how to live, teach us how to give, and guide us with the light of love. They wear so many faces, show up in the strangest places, to guide us with their mercy in our time of need...." I believe that Dick and Geri Lyons and all the Elks are ANGELS among us. I am challenging myself, and you to be an angel to someone else this week. Thank you again Elks, I can't say it enough. We truly appreciate you.
These are some pictures.....Aiden says it best when he calls them "Our Elk Family". There's Emma with "Buzz" from St. George. He has collected Elks cerebral palsy pins for her! She's got quite a collection. We think perhaps we may frame them all along with the newspaper article.(sorry, don't know why it's sideways, can't get it to straighten up!) His other half, Barbara was so sweet and cute with our kids. Even when Aiden spilled his milk across the table and onto the floor! The other picture is all of us, except Bub who was taking the picture. Dick is in the burgundy jacket, Geri in the Black blazer. The Lady in the brown and white dress is the wife of the (national) Grand Exalted Ruler, Mrs. Sulsberger. She gave us pins too :) (as did many others! thank you!) and the woman on the left...I'm so sorry, I forgot her name, but she is from the golden spike Elks lodge here in Roy. They were all so friendly and kind. Thank you Elks, Thank you!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you all know by now that the Fitch family are OUR Angels? You are the blessings that allow us to remember 'why we are Elks' - why we 'Care' and why we 'Share'. Your family and our darling Emma are why the Elks were founded 140 years ago. Thank you for giving us the gift of purpose and never for a moment forget we love you all very much! Thank you for my 'gift' of that photo op with that sweet girl. She may be Dick's 'girlfriend', but those photos are saved in my Family folder, along with another Emma. Your 'Dixie' Pal.

Rencher Fam said...

Wow Sue! You help me just by sharing these posts. Sometimes I wish that these type of stories would be in the top headlines of the day. The Elks and people like them are the ones that should be getting our attention. not all of the people doing horrible things that you hear about in the news. I never knew that much about the Elks until now. What a great group of people. I can't think of a more deserving family! Glad your weekend was so wonderful!!

Colin Meeks said...

Wasnt Grandpa a memeber of the Elks ?

Susan said...

you mean Grandpa as in my Dad? no, he wasn't. But my Grandpa Carr, my Mom's Dad was a charter member of The Richfield Elks Lodge.