Friday, March 28, 2008

WEIRD.




The weirdest thing happened to me yesterday. I went shopping all by myself. Emma went to her first day of preschool. And Aiden was at kindergarten in the classroom next door. I had two hours of time to myself and it was weird. I planned to go to Walmart for a few groceries and miscellaneous items, thinking it would take up the whole two hours like it usually does. But, without kids.....I was done in half an hour! I went home and the house was totally quiet. I tried to think of the last time I had been entirely alone like that, and I CAN'T remember! It's been that long ago. It was so, so weird. That's the only way I know to describe it. weird. I was just starting to ponder the situation when Cody (our dog) came and looked up at me with those soft puppy dog eyes. I'm so grateful for my little buddy Cody. I think if it weren't for him, I could have gotten a bit emotional.
Later that night, Aiden came to me in a panic. You see, I'm always telling him not to use his teeth to open things, with the added threat of "You might break your teeth!" He was on the verge of tears and had a terror in his eyes. "Mom, I was trying to open my R2 case with my teeth and one of them fell out!" he held a little baby tooth up to me in the palm of his hand. I thought for a minute of what fun it might be to tease him a little and play out the whole "I told you so" routine, but he seemed so scared already. I think he was afraid he was going to get in trouble.... I didn't know he had a loose tooth. He didn't either. But there wasn't any blood. It looked like it was just ready to come out. So I gently told him it was okay, and tried to get him excited about the tooth fairy. Unfortunately, we are not prepared for the tooth fairy in our house. I had no warning that this was coming. ... in my house growing up, we had a special little 'tooth pillow' with a little teeny pocket on the front. You put your tooth in the pocket, and put the whole pillow under your own pillow. In the morning, magically, there was money in the pocket instead of a tooth. So naturally, my kids have to have a tooth pillow too. After kindergarten today, we went back to Walmart to choose some fabric to make a tooth pillow for tonight. I can't believe my little Aiden is growing up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that tooth pillow downstairs in storage. What fun memories it brings back.
Don't feel to bad about not being prepared, once the toothfairy forgot Sydnee three nights in a row.I told her the toothfairy must have been very tired. By then she had it all figured out."Mom are you the toothfairy?" Well you have to tell the truth so I said yes."Does that mean your the Easterbunny and Santa Too?" Needless to say it wasn't my best mom moment.

Rencher Fam said...

Wow, what a big kid! Emma's 1st day of school pics are so cute! I can't even imagine what my house will be like with no kids there!

Anonymous said...

It looks like Emma has the same teacher as my Ethan, he goes in the afternoon. He attends because he's a little behind on his speech. She is a great teacher, she is really good with the kids. I hope Emma enjoys school!