Sunday, April 27, 2008



My sister in law Emily posted this great little video on her blog the other day. Then, my good friend Jen posted something different about it on hers. I have to say I have been quite inspired by it. A photographer named Mark Mabry has made this beautiful photo presentation about the savior's life. My understanding is that it will soon be on display (if not already) at the Arizona temple visitor's center. All the pictures were actually taken in Arizona. You can go to www.reflectionsofchrist.org to see more. It is definately worth it. I was more inspired by the "making of" videos off of the website than perhaps even the video itself. I love that it is all about Jesus Christ. I love that the pictures are so pretty. But most of all, I love the actual creation of it.

We all have talents. It's a topic that intrigues me and inspires me. I remember in college, I had been working late on a project one night in the fine arts building and was on my way home. As I walked I looked at the artwork of other students posted in glass cases in the hallways. All of the same subject, or same assignment, but so different, and yet so similar. Each so beautiful in it's own way. (Kind of like each of us.) This particular night, as I journeyed through the building, I heard voices. Singing voices. An a'capella group was practicing in the auditorium. To me, they sounded like angels,I was moved. profoundly. art has such an ability to reach the human soul. To create it, mold it, change it. And beyond the feelings I had, I was caught up in the idea of what a gift creativity of any kind is.

Shortly after that experience I heard a talk given by a religious leader in my church. He described creativity as a spiritual experience. It dawned on me that when I am 'creating' that on some level I am trying to be like my Savior. He is THE CREATOR. And I believe that creating brings me closer to him, and gives me a more intimate understanding of him because he is the ulitmate creator of all things. I think our spirits recognize that while we create. Maybe that's why it is such a source of joy and fulfillment to me-it brings me closer to becoming like MY creator.

What a thought: creation. In a world where so much is destructive. Not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. So many things in our society seem inately designed to tear down our spirits, tear apart our families, demean our virtue and purpose.

I once heard a quote from a professor at BYU. I don't remember the professor, I don't remember a single word in the quote, but I remember the idea. Basically, that creation/creativity is a POWER that can be used for good or evil, but should always be used to glorify our Father in Heaven. I wish I remembered anything more about it. It changed my life. My talent for drawing, my LOVE of drawing became more than a simple pass time for me. It became a responsibility. Each of us have the POWER to create, to make something. And we each have the choice to use it for good or evil. To build the spirit or to destroy it. I made a choice that day. A choice I make every time I put pencil to paper. I choose to use my talent in behalf of my Heavenly Father. To try to uplift others, to try to bring them closer to him--if only by putting a smile on their face, or a good feeling in their heart.

I admire so much people like this photographer who can so eloquently and so obviously direct their talents to the Savior. I wish I could do that in the same way. I have always wanted to create beatiful, awe inspiring pictures of the Savior. But I don't believe that the Lord meant for all of us to honor him in the same way. So far, my style, my technique is not at a point where I feel I can do justice to the feelings I have. I'll keep working towards that. But in the meantime, my art will be a baby step. I'll use what I can do, how I can do it to honor my savior in my own way. Just like the hallways back at Utah State. Each one different, each one beautiful.

So here's my deep thought for the day: What are you creating? Not just artistically, but the things you say, the things you do create something too. How are you choosing to use your power?

4 comments:

Rencher Fam said...

Sue, you have such a way with words! I love reading your posts. It really made me think a lot about what I'm doing with what I have been given. Thanks!

Rebecca said...

I came across this website around Easter time, and was completely touched by the nativity photo. I hope to have a print of it someday! Thanks for posting it to your blog, and for the spiritual thought.

La Belle Belge said...

Oh My Gosh!!! I found you! I actually called the MTC today to try and get your info (they didn't give it to me - no worries)! It will probably take you a little while to remmber me but you were my teacher at the MTC before I served on Temple Square... Sister Viegas (Julienna, black Sister from Belgium - Anyways, I don't want to write a novel on your blog but please contact me viegashaws@gmail.com and I'll tell you more - I'll even invite you to my blog (it's private) so you can see a picture of me and my family... Your blog looks way fun little mommy! I hope to hear from you soon :)

PS: Sorry I posted this twice... I was trying to find a picture of you to make sure it was you :)

Rachael said...

Sue, what a awesome post. I have always been jealous of your drawing ability, but from your thoughts it makes so much sense that everyone is "creating" something different! I loved it!