Today, I feel totally crappy. Some days are like that. Somedays, I'm totally socially inept. Do you ever get that way, where no matter how hard you try, you just can't seem to say the right thing? Or maybe after the fact, you look back on what you've said or how you've acted and think "That was STUPID." What's even more stupid is the fact that we can't rewind time and un-do the stupid. Like yesterday for example. I was in Target with the kids. As always, they had asked to walk through the toy section, and as always, when we got there they whined and begged for everything they saw. I was ornery to say the least. So, on my way past the magazines and books down towards the electronics I come face to face with a lady in my ward. I have never actually spoken to her before, but I have seen her at church, and I feel like I know her because she makes comments in Relief Society. She recently shared with us the fact that she has CANCER. She saw me, and stopped and smiled and started a perfectly nice conversation. But me, I was distracted by the cloud over my head and the heaviness in my eyebrows forcing my face into a scowl. I don't even know what I said to her. As far as I can recollect, just a nod or a 'yeah,' or a 'me too.' or something totally life draining and lame. What I would like to have said is that "I think you're a really neat person." or "I feel bad that you have cancer and I've been praying for you." or ANYTHING else that would have been nice and given her the impression that I felt friendly towards her! I hate being a jerk. That experience was about 3 or 4 stupid things ago. I feel bad about the others too, they're just too stupid to share. I keep thinking about the things we say to each other. People have said some really stupid things to me too. Is it possible that they are thinking "That was stupid"? And even if they're not....would I feel better if I pretended they were? I'm not the kind of girl who holds onto those kinds of things anyway. Which is good for me. But it's something I've been pondering. How often do people in general commit an act of stupidity? Is it universal, or are some people more prone to it than others? Is there a way to fix it? I'd love to hear your ideas....p.s. Snappy Dan's jerk postcard (which was created just for this occasion) will be on sale in the Sue shoppe.....just in case anyone else needs a little reminder.

5 comments:
I like to think that we are all only human and that I am not the only one that has socially inept moments. I think we all just do the best we can at that moment. There are often times I'd wish I'd said something different. I don't know, maybe we all have moments like that...I've wondered about this myself. =)
Hi Sue. Guess what...you suffer from the same condition as the rest of us! Humanity! We all have it. Forgive yourself and determine to contact that woman and say something kind to her. It's never too late for kindness! Trust me, you'll feel so much better that you'll forget the "stupid" moment ever happened and start building a valuable friendship. I love ya, Sue!
I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one that says stupid things! I agree with Sheree and Trudy-we're only human. You are one of the sweetest girls that I know. It's hard for me to even picture you ever hurting a fly!
oh sweet sue. don't worry about it. we all do it all the time. most of the time on accident or because of some other situation we are dealing with (kids in the store...i am sure that she was sympathetic) and if it really bugged her she would be like me. last time someone said something totally offensive to me i actually (out loud) said, "take that back! that really hurt!" i know, i must be such a good friend. i am sure she didn't mean what she said (she took it back) and she just caught me at a really bad time. we missed you too when we were in utah. wish it had been a longer trip so that we could have enjoyed some stuff, like your company:) maybe next time:)
I think we all have said something or done something we wished we could change. I am sure the lady thought nothing of it. Luckily we do get a fresh start the next day.
Post a Comment